Wednesday 13 July 2011

Cold hills

10km 43:02 (4:18s) - 4km w'up (16:18), 6 x 185m steep hill sprints, 4km w'down (16:34)

Friggin freezing day today. I love how the news report drag out the "record low temperatures" line every time it gets cold, then the next line sneaks in the big caveat, tonight was "coldest July day in 8 years". So its not a record, as 8 years ago it was colder, plus there were probably hundreds of colder July days prior to that. A bit like some runners who have "this year PB", "this decade", a "post injury PB" etc etc. You have one PB, so get out and try and beat it. Rant over.

Today started with my monthly massage from Easy Tiger - he sorted out my perpetually tight lower back and also one or two other niggles I've recently picked up. Felt good enough after that to head down late in the afternoon to my steepest local hill - Livingstone Road in South Marrickville, just next to the Cooks River, Marrickville Golf Course and a big Eggball (AFL) oval. The hill's not overly long - 185m to the top - but its steep. Rises over 20m in the185m, so its a decent hitout. Didn't know how many I'd manage, so decided I'd just run them hard til I got the wobbles pretty badly and couldn't look out for cars/driveways etc. Hadn't run this hill for awhile, forgot how tough it was to sustain speed. Managed 6 reps - 50s, 50, 50, 49, 47, 45 - which is ok but not earth shattering. Probably should have done the first couple a bit quicker, will do next time.

Fast(ish) warm up and down alongside the Cook River made for a short but effective session. Just hope the hills haven't undone Tiger's hardwork. He's busy crosstraining the house down at the moment while injured, so I dont think he could fit me in for another massage if I needed one. Plus I probably couldn't afford another at the moment, being a stay at home Dad for awhile with no income :)

Livingstone Road hill sprint reps

No comments:

Post a Comment