Sunday 5 June 2011

Back into it ('bout time..)

Finished up full time work roughly 6 weeks ago, at which point my weekly mileage was exactly 0km. Had been for about 2 months, and the 6 months before that was very sporadic in terms of training, and next to no racing. But more on that later.

So 6 weeks of building up, almost all (very boringly) run by myself, saw me hit 70km total for last week. Very small total compared to some out there, but I've always been a low mileage runner, think I've only ever hit 100km/week twice, back when I was running marathons and long off road stuff. Over this period I jumped in a few of Easy Tiger's methodically planned training sessions, which was a great boredom breaker, plus he can run a bit so you know you'll get an honest workout running with "Team Tiger".

But enough of a recap, and up to the present - after a solid 20km (4:05s) by myself around the bay last Sunday, I thought it was time I re-joined the SWEAT Sunday long runs in Centennial, something I did a lot through 2009 and the first half of 2010, times when I set my PBs over 5km/10km/City to Surf. Had planned on doing 90 mins, but got there a few minutes late, so did a couple of kms warmup by myself, then joined the large pack for a solid 14km hitout (4:00 pace). Link to run below. Felt a bit sluggish up the long hill at halfway - but that's nothing new, even when I was running my best with the squad 2 years ago I always hated that long grass/sand climb. But picked it up after that to finish well chasing down a few guys, but didn't have much left at the end.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90473758

Happy with the effort and result, but know that its really only the start if I want to get back into any sort of race fit condition for this Winter's races. Races which are already upon us - some great results at State 10km road champs yesterday, disappointed I didn't run them this year, have set my 10km in that race in each of the last 3 years, but knew I'd be wasting my time running it this time around. But there's plenty of others coming up (just not as fast a field or course).

63km total this week, down a bit on last week but some decent sessions

No comments:

Post a Comment