Tuesday 28 June 2011

St George Dragons training - snapped in half

Monday - no run, lower back very iffy after weekend running
Tuesday - 10km easy in Stanmore/Marrickville 43:41 (4:22s)

Not a lot of running the past two days as a dodgy lower back problem I get on and off came on after my Sunday trail run. Not a major problem, something that cost me a few $ at the physio last year, so I know how to deal with it now.

But the most intense session I've done this week wasn't a straight run, but today with the St George Dragons NRL team. No joke, it was a competition win from one of their sponsors, consisted of a couple of hours at the Kogarah home ground for a tour, viewing of video session, Q&A with coaches (alas, not Wayne Bennett) and a couple of players, then taking part in a couple of short touch footy based games. Also scored a Dragons jersey - I lucked out by getting the away strip, other winners got the home Red V strip.

I'm not a Dragons fan, but love NRL, and it was an amazing day. Especially as it was the day after the Dragons had played, so the high tech video session was an eye opener. Also was very interesting how much they monitor their players during training sessions - on all days other than recovery days (which this was), each player wears a GPS unit monitoring their speed, balance (via an accelerometer) for possible onset of injuries, and overall distance covered. This is all viewed in real time in a room at the top of the grandstand by an IT staffmember who relays messages back to the coaches that "player x is slackening off/getting fatigued this session, he's down  to an average of only 5 m/s, call him out" etc. I had scary thoughts of if this was ever cheap enough to apply to running training sessions, especially someone monitoring some of my lazy "middle" reps...

The short touch footy style attack and defence games we then got to take part in were good fun, mainly things like 6 v 6 with a defender dropping off each touch (not tackle). No way in hell was I taking part if it was anything other than touch, they would have broken me in half. Even the little guys were all big units, and no doubt had a laugh later at the skinny runner and other wannabes joining in. Couple of pics below - none once we left the sheds and out onto the field however.

Hips and groin feeling a bit sore from all the sideways movement now, think I might call the club and ask if one of their masseurs can come and visit me for a follow up :)

I got the away strip - bummer
Not a lot of "stars" at today's recovery session - most are in NSW Origin camp

No comments:

Post a Comment